Thursday, July 06, 2006

Fish Blender/Desk Lamp

You ever wonder what to do with that old blender? Why sell it in a garage sale or pitch it when you can make it into something else? I decided to make my old blender into a fish tank. I think I got the idea from one of those cheesy motivational posters something about "keep on swimming" or something. The poster had a picture of a goldfish swimming in a blender. I thought it was a hilarious idea. So when we got our new blender, making my old blender obsolete, I wanted to make one. It took me a while to figure out how to get the motor out, and how to install a light (oh I added a light to my fishtank by the way). And here it is. Tomorrow I will add a switch to make to cord longer (I have the original on there now) and so I can turn the light on and off, I don't want to cook the fish. I will add a picture of the fish when I get one. Till then enjoy my Fish Blender/Desk Lamp.

9 comments:

Ryan Schmitz said...

Now your home is truly a home, and I bet there is a Blender-tank market out there.

Glad that you are loving you new location, by the way we are expecting number three (just found out). Talk to you soon.

Dave & Lynnette Mason said...

Ryan,

Congrats man... That is cool a couple more and you got a hockey team

_dave

Stephen and Michelle said...

What a great idea! Maybe you should market it...everyone will want one! Yeah, I can see how it would be important to switch out the motor...one little slip, and oops, no more fish...

Anonymous said...

I hope your fish doesn't get too mixed up in his new surroundings when you get it. Ha

Dave & Lynnette Mason said...

Mom Mowat,

Yeah I hope my fish servives

Stephen or Michelle,

Also I need to take the motor out to fit the light in.. I'm off to get my switch now..

Anonymous said...

Hey i made one out of a gumball machine....it was awesome

Dave & Lynnette Mason said...

Hey Gannon, that's awesome, you got any pics of that?

_dave

Anonymous said...

I know you blogged this over 2 years ago but I would like to convert a blender like this for a friend who just got an apartment. Can you tell me what kind of light fixture and bulb you chose that fit so well into the blender base?

Thanks,
Mindy

Dave & Lynnette Mason said...

Mindy,

I just used a regular light fixture you'd use on a ceiling (the white ones that are like $2) Then attached it to the base with short screws...

I had to experiment with the bulb, but found one that had a flat top, it does heat up the water a bit, so I have a thermometer on the tank so I don't boil the fish....

Good luck

_dave