Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Live in Concert

This past Friday I had the opportunity to go to an Underoath/Taking Back Sunday show in Montreal. A group of teens from KV Youth we're telling me about the show a couple months ago and said they didn't have a ride, so I offered to drive if we could find a van. The Hicks we nice enough to lend us the van so Jeremy Lamos, Harley Hicks, and Keith Maber loaded up the Hick's van and headed up to the concert. We went to Ottawa first and spent the night Thursday at my Mom and Dad's place. We woke up and headed to Montreal.

The concert was at Olympia Theatre on Saint Catherine in Montreal. It reminded me a little of the places we'd see in New York or Haight Street in San Fran. There were rainbows in all the windows and a Peep Show place was across the street. I thought this was an interesting place for a "Christian" band to be playing, but then I thought if Christ was a rocker (and was a the Rock Star of his time) he'd probably be playing right here.

We waited outside for a couple hours and then were let in. The venue was a 1200 seat auditorium that had the lower seats removed. A perfect place to see a rock show. It was an old theater so it have the feel of the Pearl Jam "Alive" video from back in the day. A band Armor for Sleep opened the show and were alright. Underoath was up next and totally rocked the place. Spencer came out late in their set and performed an acoustic song that was pretty sweet. The thing I think I was most impressed with was near the end when Spencer talked to the crowd about Jesus Christ. He said that this band is here to honor their Lord Jesus Christ. Usually I had when Christian band say things like this because usually I see bands at "Christian" event and they say it and everybody cheers. It just seems cheesy to me. But here, Spencer was saying this in a place that he not only wouldn't get cheered he could actually get booed for having these beliefs. We went on to say "I'd tell you to take my word for it, but why should you, just know that Jesus Christ has saved my life time and time again". Pretty freakin' cool. Taking Back Sunday closed the show and were really good as well. I think I prefered Underoath though.

After the show we drove straight back here through the night. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be I slept from 6-7 AM in Edmunston and then we kept going, go home around 10:30 or so Atlantic Time. I was pretty tired that's why this post isn't up till today. Lynnette's Sisters got here Saturday night and we're spending the week with them. I'm sure there will be a post about that soon.

_dave

No comments: